Thursday 30 July 2009

On my way to Barcelona



From the mountains I drive to Cardona and fail to see the salt rock sculptor!

Move on to Vic-Sau on Friday, feel very pleased with myself for choosing such a beautiful spot for my birthday!

Meet up with Joan who shows me some of the projects he and his partner have done.




They are currently working with a famous Catalan architect to make a pavilion in the Shanghai Expo in 2010.

Their first client has a special events venue situated in a parkland full of pieces of sculpture and artwork and Juan’s work.


Really interesting, and then we also see the owners latest project turning his family's farmhouse into a rental property for artists. All the rooms have a different theme designed by different artists – very entertaining.


On Saturday I went to see my Godmother Manuela in her home town of Terrassa... and she took me out to her coutry club for lunch. The Club used to be in the country, but is now very much in the suburbs of Terrassa. In the last 40 years Spain's towns and cities have mushroomed in size and and offten with very bad planning.


On Sunday I finally drove to Barcelona and said good buy to the car. I can't quite belive the road trip is over.






I have family here and am staying with my aunt and unkle. On my second day there they took me to the famous Gaudi park 'el Parque de Guell' - a treat for the photographer.



I also went to see one of his houses and the Palau de Musica which is a very fine example of Spanish Art Nouveau.

Well, I don't really have to point out the cultural highlights of Barcelona, there is an awful lot to see and do and if ou haven't been you should spend a week end here. Perhaps not in July or August, too hot.


No comments: