Friday 12 June 2009

Granada

Before I go on to Granada, I must mention that my aunt taught me how to make flan!...

and Sunday breakfast was my favorite - Churros and coffee.

I hope you don't mind the chronological diary of culinary experiences, but food is very much part of the culture here.

Granada was a lovely temperature and as I arrived in the afternoon, I was able to take an early evening stroll.

A shop was open selling lace and embroidery and I asked if these skills where taught locally, they replied that there where some courses on offer at the local school round the corner...


I got to look inside this School of 'Arte y Oficio' which translates as a school for ‘creative work skills’. Chatting to the doorman, it turns out he is a retired metalworker and uses the studio to make things for friends. He was currently making a coat rack.

Dinner consisted of beer and a free 'Tapa', followed by a sample of the local chorizo.

The city is littered with workshops and studios. I had not organized any interviews in advance. Not a problem.

At the tourist office I explained what I was doing and was immediately directed to Esperanza Romero. A ceramic artist with a foundation course at Clerkenwell and degree at the RA, she also does etching and tile installations.

Other people I interviewed where Maureen Booth, a printing artists, she and her husband who have lived in Spain for over 40 years. They took me out for a fantastic lunch, which included this dish of rise with fish stock and parsley.

Ramon Rubio, head of conservation at the Alhambra – was absolutely amazing, I am full of admiration for what he has achieved over the last 20 years. He is 'the' expert in Arabic plaster and totally self taught.

Murina Mendoza, one of the last leather workers in Granada,

and Rafael Morano, someone I was dreaming of meeting and who then happened to cross my path, literally. We ended up at the bar, drinking wine and talking about putting the world to right.

One of the most revered Guitar makers in Granada!

The Last thing I did before leaving this wonderful city was to go up to the Alhambra for a night visit, recommended to me by Mr. Rubio. I chose not to take the camera, sometimes it is good to leave everything behind and enjoy the moment.

Next I head up to Ubeda and Cordoba.

No comments: